Friday, April 08, 2022

The Battle of Pollilur - revisited


The recent sale of a rare 18th century painting got me thinking about Vanguard once again. I wrote a piece for the Wire about it. This painting first entered my life in 2011-12, when I was back in grad school. The SOAS JCR was where all the action was on a Friday night, and imagine my surprise when on the walls was a poster seeking writers to help with some website content related to Tippu Sultan! I responded and that set into a motion a series of events that led to the writing of Vanguard, a play about Mysore rockets. At a time when everyone (including myself) was writing simple 2-handers for the stage, I went ahead and wrote a big chunky historical play for 13 actors. It awaits a spectacular production - which I feel is coming soon!

No comments: